Playing Online Poker with great relish - at GameTwist!
You can enjoy the legendary online casino game here free of charge if you have enough Twists (our virtual game currency) in your gaming account. Plus, we offer a variety of Online Poker games, each of which offers modern gameplay that is in tune with the times.
But before you get started, why not find out some interesting facts about the game here!
Poker - a centuries-old success story
Did you know: Playing Poker was already commonplace in some European countries in the 16th century. In Germany, for example, Poker was called “Poch” and in France it was named “Poque”. At around the same time, a predecessor of Poker called “As Nas” supposedly existed in Persia. In the early 19th century, the game was introduced by French settlers to the US, where it spread rapidly.
Since the 1970s, Poker has also been played professionally (in the World Series of Poker) and gained even more popularity. Due to the advent of Online Poker the number of passionate players has been increasing fast; nowadays the opportunities to enjoy this game are virtually unlimited.
The most important poker rules
No matter whether you play free or for real stakes, if you want to be successful at Online Poker you need to have the required expertise. These are the most important rules:
- The player who holds the highest hand or placed the highest stakes that no other player called wins at the end of the round. A hand consists of two starting cards and the community cards that are valid for all players.
- There are different Poker hands with different values, from “Royal Flush” to the “High Card” (single, highest card). It is very important that you familiarise yourself with individual Poker hands and their values.
- The game is played with a blind. The “Big Blind” or “Small Blind” (Texas or Ohama Holdʼem), or “Antes” or “Bring-in” (Seven Card Stud), have a decisive influence on the gameplay and increase while the game progresses.
- The game is played clockwise and there are expressions for specific game moves,
such as “bet” (placing a bet), “check” (betting nothing while remaining in the hand), “call” (going along), “raise” (increasing a bet) and “fold” (exiting the game). Only if you know what these terms mean can you actually compete with other players!
- There are different betting rounds depending on the Poker variant. You can also play with betting limits (standard: “No Limit”, “Pot Limit” or “Fixed Limit”).
- “All-in” means a player is taking full risk and betting EVERYTHING on his/her current hand.